Friday, January 13, 2023

SKELGAMOG! Update 45: Monster Stat Blocks

 Before I go all in on the bestiary, I just wanna explain what I'm doing and what all is gonna be included in the stat block, plus my reasoning behind it. Stats are, as follows...

Name: Self explanatory

HD: Hit Dice. All monsters in SKELGAMOG! have a d6 hit dice to cut down on HP bloat.

AC: Armor Class. I'm using ascending armor class (bigger number = harder to hit) because I find it more intuitive than descending.

Attacks: Number and type of attacks, with damage and riders in parenthesis.

Saving Throw: Swords & Wizardry uses a unified, descending save number that you try to roll over. I'm going back and forth if I want to change it to an ascending roll-under system, but for right now I'm sticking with the current system.

Move: S&W uses a movement rate number (3,6,9,12, etc.), but I'm listing the actual feet-per-combat-round in parenthesis. 

XP: Another thing I'm going back and forth on whether to include. Defeating monsters earns XP equal to HD x 10, so I might just include a note about that and be done with it.

Description: Anything else about the monster that needs explaining. Appearance, habits, special abilities, that sort of thing.

Things deliberately NOT in the stat block...

Number Appearing: I can easily list this in the encounter table, room description, or even monster description if needed. Doesn't need a dedicated spot.

Alignment: Again, I don't need to list this. Monsters are chaotic, humans and demi-humans are neutral at best.

Morale: Weirdly, S&W leaves morale completely up to GM fiat. I don't really like that, but I can't justify having a dedicated spot in the stat block for it. I'll have to come up with a ruling to put in the "GM Primer" section or something, but for now I'm not going to worry about it.

That about covers everything, except for how many monsters I actually need to make. I'm gonna aim for 5 unique, new monsters for every zone, plus a list of overland and generic ones. Coupled with what's already printed in the book, I think that'll give me plenty of variety to work with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment